Diving Deep Into Spring Cleaning
Posted on March 20, 2017 by Advance Companies
The first day of spring has come and gone, time to take a deep dive into spring cleaning. You’ve got your traditional cleaning–getting your carpets cleaned, clearing out the fridge, and dusting–but that’s not all that needs “cleaning”. Storms have done their damage on homes and businesses across the region, so take a day to check your home’s foundation and roof as well.
Spring Cleaning Tips
Your list of spring cleaning generally includes extensive dusting, vacuuming, cleaning out the fridge and garage. Don’t forget to hone in on these areas as well.
- Walls and Baseboards. We’re not asking you to examine a side-by-side comparison of your walls when they were 1) first painted and 2) now–that would just be cruel. You don’t need us to tell you to clean your walls and baseboards thoroughly. Combine soap with water and gently, but thoroughly, scrub walls and baseboards. Don’t scrub too hard to prevent paint from fading.
- Behind Appliances. You’ll find more than just a that lost sock behind the washer and dryer. Grime, dust, and dirt build up over the winter. Plus, dust and lint can become a fire hazard behind a drying. Make sure to put this on your list.
- Dusting +. The “+” in this instance is anywhere located high and out of reach. Ceiling fans and lights are often overlooked when dusting and cleaning but collect a lot of dirt and dust. A ceiling fan that runs with a coat of dust on it spreads that through the house and air diminishing air quality. Get a stool or ladder to clean hard to reach places.
The Extra Spring Cleaning Mile
Once you’re done dusting and deep cleaning your house, take an afternoon to go outside to take a look at concrete around your house and the roof.
- The Roof. Post-winter roof leaks are as common as as a freezer stalked full of popsicles in mid-July. A leak left for too long can cause serious damage to your roof. Examine roof shingles and replace them where necessary. For bigger issues, make sure to hire a certified roofer to to get you ready for the summer.
- Fixing and Leveling Concrete. Winter’s long, harsh impact on Minnesota and around the country prevents most from doing outside repairs. Soil movement and compaction coupled with the frost-heaving that occurs when the water in underground soil freezes, can leave concrete surfaces unlevel, unsightly, and unsafe. These should be repaired by a professional for best results and long-term functionality.
Advance Companies specializes in restoration services for home, business, and even churches and schools. Our many decades in the business make us a trusted name in the industry. We offer emergency and scheduled services. Give us a call today to schedule a visit or contact us with an emergency.