Beat Winter Without Spending a Fortune
Posted on October 12, 2016 by Advance Companies
It’s the impossible task.
How do I keep my family warm in freezing Minnesota temperatures without spending a fortune on my electric and heating bill? If you have any brilliant ideas, we’re listening. Until then, we’ve compiled a list of low-cost ways to beat the winter cold, and perhaps save a few bucks along the way.
Schedule an Energy Auditor
Conducting an energy audit is all about long term savings. Find out where you can save most and prepare for the long term. Find a professional energy auditor near you.
Cover Drafty Windows
It’s almost impossible to maintain a perfect seal on windows. Here’s a few inexpensive ideas we’ve come up with to keep warm air from exiting the home.
- Use a clear plastic, heavy duty sheet on a window frame or tape a clear plastic sheet on the inside of a window frame. Make sure it’s sealed tightly.
- Install tight fitting, insulating drapes.
Maintain Your Heating Systems
No matter the heating system, maintenance is required.
- Replace your furnace filter once or month, or as needed.
- Schedule regular service visits for your heating system, and learn efficiency techniques.
- Wood and pellet-burning systems: Clear the flue vent regularly and remove debris with a wire brush annually.
Prevent Heat Loss from the Fireplace
Much like leaving a window or a door, fireplaces can be an energy vacuum, sucking heat out of the home before you know it.
- If you never use your chimney, plug and seal the chimney flue.
- Add caulking around the fireplace hearth
- When you use the fireplace, reduce heat loss by opening dampers in the bottom of the firebox (if provided) or open the nearest window slightly–approximately 1 inch–and close doors leading into the room. Lower the thermostat setting to between 50° and 55°F.
- Keep the fireplace damper closed unless a fire is burning. Leaving it open is just like leaving a window open.
Adjust the Thermostat
Turn the thermostat up when you’re gone, and maintain a reasonably comfortable temperature when you’re home. That way you don’t waste energy and aren’t heating your home when you’re out. When asleep or out of the house, turn the thermostat back 10 to 15 degrees and save 10% on the heating bill each year.
Great news. These tips are 100% free! Take the necessary measures to keep warm and save money this Winter. And if you ever have any cleanup or restoration needs, make sure to give us a call 24/7. We’re available all hours of the day and are here to serve you.